Friday, January 05, 2007

Some thoughts on traveling solo

After traveling on my own a bit in SE Asia last year and then for 2.5 months in Ecuador and Peru before meeting up with Nick, I’ve discovered that I really really love traveling on my own! I love the freedom and the solitude. Especially on some of my hikes in the Sacred Valley, I loved just walking out in the open countryside with no one else in sight. It was so peaceful being all alone: just me and the sound of my own footsteps.

At the same time, I feel like it is really easy to meet people whenever I want to. I used to worry that it would get very lonely traveling alone, but I actually think I meet more people (especially local people) when I travel alone than I do when I’m traveling with someone else! I think when you are alone, people find you much more approachable… or maybe they just take pity on you! The people in Peru are also just so friendly and nice. For the most part, people are always willing to help, and once they get going, they can talk your ear off for hours!

No comments: